All AI systems may need to be reviewed soon! Yesterday, the EU lawmakers reached a provisional political agreement on AI regulation. What will this mean for global AI and GenerativeAI? 
The main areas of AI regulation have been agreed upon and are being refined ahead of a vote in mid-June.
- Stricter requirements for foundation models.
- All artificial intelligence employed in the EU should adhere to EU rules and rights. – International AI is unclear.
- Extend the restriction on biometric identification software.
- Prohibition on “purposeful” manipulation – This may require explanation.
- AI ‘suppliers’ may need evidence of risk management, transparency, and data governance. – It is still unclear whether this is self-regulated or independently audited.
- Energy and water systems, for example, may be considered as high-risk infrastructure.
Large recommender systems may be considered high-risk. The emphasis will be on removing bias in sensitive data for high-risk systems. Along with the legislation, broader AI technical guidance may be included.
- High-risk systems should keep track of their environmental impact.
Even if many AI systems are built or reside outside the EU, they may be required to comply with EU regulations if utilised in the EU. This might be analogous to GDPR law, in which EU laws were formed and the rest of the world was required to alter its data policy to suit.
Once the final legislative text is confirmed (possibly in mid-June), the specific requirements of this AI law will be determined.
Always design safe and robust AI systems with a strong governance infrastructure and regular evaluations. This reduces risk and increases trust in your technology.
If you haven’t already, this is a great moment to get ahead of the curve and review your strategy.
Feel free to contact me today for help with this area
I invest many hours researching the latest AI, technology, and business trends for all my clients. The knowledge is refined, distilled, and combined with many other forms of analysis and expertise to give the best advice possible.
I can get the best out of AI by:
- Spotting the latest AI opportunities for your company
- Pinpointing the best AI experts for your project or company
- Giving the best advice on AI strategy and approach
- Helping extract the most value out of AI
- …and lots more, please feel free to contact me today
Reference read more
Thank you to these excellent references for inspiring our thinking:
 Euractiv article – https://www.euractiv.com/section/artificial-intelligence/news/meps-seal-the-deal-on-artificial-intelligence-act/