Wednesday, 25 January, 2023
The National Artificial Intelligence Research Resource (NAIRR) Task Force, established by the National AI Initiative Act of 2020, has released its final AI report. It outlines a roadmap for establishing a national research infrastructure that would provide computational resources, data, educational tools, and support to AI researchers and students.
The goal is to accelerate creativity and improve AI for the public benefit by making resources available that are now exclusively available to well-funded firms, organisations, and universities. The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy and the National Science Foundation co-chair the Task Force, which includes representatives from government, academia, and business organisations.
Report ideal for
- Anyone interested in the implementation of AI in the US.
- AI can accelerate scientific discoveries and economic prosperity, but it also has the potential to have negative consequences.
- Access to advanced computational power and cutting-edge AI research still needs to be improved, resulting in a lack of diversity in the field and ingrained biases in AI systems.
- Amplify efforts across the Federal Government to cultivate AI innovation and advance trustworthy AI.
- Access to significant amounts of computational power and data is frequently restricted, resulting in a resource divide that jeopardises the potential to create a diverse AI research community and workforce.
- The National Artificial Intelligence Research Resource (NAIRR) can help democratise the AI research and development landscape in the United States.
- The NAIRR should have four objectives: to stimulate innovation, increase talent diversity, improve capacity, and advance trustworthy AI.
- The NAIRR should serve the requirements of researchers and students from varied backgrounds engaged in fundamental, use-inspired, and translational AI research. It should be based in the United States or linked with organisations established in the United States.
- The NAIRR should be a federated collection of computational data, testbed, and software resources from many suppliers, as well as technical assistance and training.
Critical thinking and insights
This report highlights the need for a strategy or roadmap to capitalise on the potential, a considerable step to establishing the key issues and hopefully creating National initiatives and a possible framework for investment.
The report also emphasises some critical concerns with AI, including governance and accessibility. These are extremely important as if addressed, they will make for a more robust, more confident AI infrastructure for years to come.
I have no affiliation with the companies/technology/people mentioned. This analysis is 100% independent for the benefit of the data/business community. Please feel free to share this on your social network. Thank you.
I invest many hours researching the latest AI, technology, and business trends for all my clients. The knowledge is refined, distilled, and combined with many other forms of analysis and expertise to give the best advice possible.
I can get the best out of AI by:
- Spotting the latest AI opportunities for your company
- Pinpointing the best AI experts for your project or company
- Giving the best advice on AI strategy and approach
- Helping extract the most value out of AI
- …and lots more, please feel free to contact me today